Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My Little Superhero

Sometimes I get so caught up in my emotions revolving around losing Evan, that I sometimes forget to focus on who he really was. Evan was such a loving, sensitive child who had a passion for life. He graciously welcomed the opportunity for new challenges. Whatever it was, riding his dirt bike or flying around in a superhero costume, the thrill on his face was priceless. Spiderman was certainly his main passion. He used to put on his costume and tell me "Don't worry mom, I will get the bad guys for you!" What I wouldn't give to hear those words again. Sometimes I just sit and hold his Spiderman costume just to be close to him.

Evan was also the best big brother any child could ask for. From the moment we had Noah, he began teaching him the values of being a boy. I used to just sit and watch the both of them fly around in their little capes pretending to save the world. Evan took his role as "big brother" very seriously. He thought that it was his job to teach him everything, including how to shave!

This was just one little moment in which I adored watching them bond into the world of dirt, bugs, and superhero's. Evan absolutely LOVED kindergarten. He was blessed with such a wonderful teacher who will always have a special place in my heart! He had such a great year full of friends and new experiences!

In the past months I have been so consumed with grief, that I forget to focus on Evan and the virtues of his ever-blossoming personality. He was a very easy going child and usually "went with the flow" of life, whatever that would be. We could do almost anything with him and he was very grateful!

As each day passes I miss him more and more. I know the pain will never go away and we will always carry that void in our hearts. We have all been so cheated not to have him here on earth. For now, I am really trying hard to focus on all the wonderful memories that we have of Evan.

"It is better to have loved, than to have never loved at all!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Evan was indeed such a wonderful little soul! He always brought me such joy to see him in his costumes zooming and fighting crime all over your living room and basement.

"While we try and teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."